Sarah's Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Deeper

Authors note: This is a creative piece that is in response to all the dualities in the novella Jekyll and Hyde. Throughout the first three chapters the duality of man is symbolically present through the opposites in diction. More specifically this line was my prime inspiration… “It was a fine dry night; frost in the air; the street as clean as a ballroom floor; the lamps, unshaken by any wind, drying a regular pattern of light and shadow… Small sounds carried far; domestic sounds out of the houses were clearly audible on either side of the roadway.” (49) Also please ignore the spacing issues :)



Soaring high through the atmosphere


A calm sensation drawing near


Clouds and fog blurs all sight


Fear and tremble fill the night



Children screaming, people sleeping


Babies laughing, parents napping


The ending tauntingly far away


We’ll be there in less than a day



The stars shine brightly in the sky


Peacefully glimmering while we pass by


Gliding through the sky so fast


Haunting memories flash past



Children screaming, people sleeping


Babies laughing, parents napping


The ending tauntingly far away


We’ll be there in less than a day



The First class overflowing


We sit here never knowing
Coach seats sparsely filled
The luxury and space killed



Children screaming, people sleeping


Babies laughing, parents napping


The ending tauntingly far away


We’ll be there in less than a day



Blue ocean drawing near


Yet the sky just got clear


Captain speaks up above


While we hug those we love



Children screaming, people fearing


Babies balling, parents falling


The ending tauntingly far away


We only have one more day



The plane loses control


Plunging deeper into the hole


Darkness fills all our eyes


Before we could say any good byes



Children screaming, people sleeping


Babies laughing, parents napping


The ending no so far away


Don’t take for granted any day



(Authors note continued)… To every situation there is an opposite side, good vs. evil. If we just look past what is at the surface and notice what is deeper we can make more out of life. For every evil there is a hero, and for every hero there is a villain; life is deeper than just superficial depth, don’t take it for granted.

3 comments:

  1. This was a really great piece! Nice job. I loved your repetition throughout the poem. The only thing was I didn't feel that evil side that you were talking about in your author's note. Maybe after "we will be there less than a day" part, you could incorporate a terrible memory. But that's just me. But it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your paradox in sentence structure throughout your piece, as well as the alternative rhyming lines. I liked it overall and I personally wouldn't change any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you tried poetry and rhyming to give it a echoing effect. I thought the good vs evil theme was shown well through the analogies, I especially enjoyed the one about coach seats on a plane. The only thing that I would change is to maybe keep your rhyming more consistent, because sometimes you had the first and second rhyme, but other times you had the first and third rhyme. However, I thought it was very meaningful, so this doesn't affect your writing all that much.

    ReplyDelete